(Sermon guide PDF is available above for download)
This is the sermon transcript for:
Free Indeed/Shutting The Doors
- Weakness #1 we dealt with our carnality. We dealt with who was keeping our house
- Weakness #2 we dealt with the pre-existing condition of the house. It will enable the enemy to embed himself.
- Lost coin - "Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Doesn't she light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? Luke 15:8
(John 8:31-36) To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” They answered him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?” Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed
(Ephesians 4:26-28) “In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold
. He who has been stealing must steal no longer…”
They rush upon the city; they run along the wall. They climb into the houses; like thieves
they enter through the windows
. Joel 2:9
Anyone you forgive, I also forgive. And what I have forgiven--if there was anything to forgive--I have forgiven in the sight of Christ for your sake, in order that Satan might not outwit us. For we are not unaware of his schemes
. 2 Corinthians 2:11
“…we don’t want to unwittingly give Satan an opening
for yet more mischief—we’re not oblivious to his sly ways!” The Message
So last week we dealt with strongholds. These are the walls that the enemy is able to embed himself behind in our lives.
- Your will (are visible by your actions)(Our wills are not always what we know are the best things for us. They are usually the things we’ve deemed to be the safest for us)
- Your fear (identify your beliefs)
- Your dependencies (are triggered by your desires)
If walls have doors, we want to identify them
Three Big Doors
(1 John 2:15-17) Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh
, the lust of the eyes
, and the pride of life
—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away
, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.
- “Lust of the flesh” – our _passions_. (the wall of your dependencies)
- While this topic understandably draws attention to our challenges with sexuality
- This is the part of you that is always worried about how you feel
- This why we saw that we will serve what we feel we need
- “Lust of the eyes” – our _appetite__. (The wall of fear)
- Typically we address the areas of greed and possessions
- Why did I attach the lust of the eyes to the wall of fear? Nothing motivates our appetites more than insecurity. Because we’ve internally wired for eternity, the absence of God creates a void impossible to fill.
- This part of you is always thinking it’s taking care of what you need
- “Pride of life” – our _Position_. (The wall of your will)
- This is the part of you that’s working to get you where you believe you belong.
- This one gets the un-regenerated version of you in a major mess.
- Because this one God Himself opposes.
- Why? Because it does not honor God’s plans and purpose for you. It demonstrates your distrust in God. You want to be in charge of placement. This one hear originates in the fall in the garden.
“Good for food – passion
“Pleasing to the eye” – appetite/possessions
“Desirable for gaining wisdom” – position
(Matt 4:3,5-6,8-9) The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread
Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. "If you are the Son of God," he said, "throw yourself down
Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. "All this I will give you
," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me." (Possessions/appetite)
The enemy will never get tired at knocking on these doors
Three reoccurring idolatries Israel would get caught in:
Shut the Door
- God of Asherah – passions (temple prostitution)
- God of Mammon – possessions
- God of Baal – position (demon of pride and power) (25 min)
- _Integrity__. An integer, to be whole, to be one, doesn’t mean perfect, it means honest. It’s someone who’s not going to be divided within himself.
(Proverbs 5:7-10) Now then, my sons, listen to me; do not turn aside from what I say. Keep to a path far from her, do not go near the door
of her house, lest you lose your honor to others and your dignity to one who is cruel, lest strangers feast on your wealth and your toil enrich the house of another.
(Romans 6:12-14 Message) That means you must not give sin a vote in the way you conduct your lives. Don’t give it the time of day. Don’t even run little errands that are connected with that old way of life. Throw yourselves wholeheartedly
into God’s way
of doing things. Sin can’t tell you how to live. After all, you’re not living under that old tyranny any longer. You're living in the freedom of God.
Say _yes to God_
and _no to the devil_.
- _generosity_. Greed and insecurity. Can I say this? The security for this door is not in how much or how often you give. It’s about where you give first.
(Genesis 4:2-7) Now Abel kept flocks, and Cain worked the soil. In the course of time
Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to the LORD. And Abel also brought an offering—fat portions from some of the firstborn
of his flock. The LORD looked with favor on Abel and his offering, but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast. Then the LORD said to Cain, “Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast? If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door
; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it
- It’s more than God saying, “Be faithful in giving” He’s actually saying, “YOU CAN BE faithful in your giving.” Dismiss your insecurity and you’ll find it easy to resist greed.
(Malachi 3:10-11 NKJV) “Bring all the tithes
into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, and try Me now in this,” says the LORD of hosts, “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer
for your sakes, so that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground, nor shall the vine fail to bear fruit for you in the field,” says the LORD of hosts.
Give God the _first of everything
- humility__. (Most visible in your worship)
(Revelation 3:7-8) What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open. I know your deeds. See, I have placed before you an open door
that no one can shut. I know that you have little strength, yet you have kept my word
and have not denied my name.
(John 3:30) Jesus must become greater and greater
, and I must become less and less
Develop a lifestyle of _prayer
_ and _fasting